About Dr. Paul Christo
Dr. Christo is a board certified, Harvard-trained anesthesiologist and Hopkins-trained pain medicine specialist. He lectures internationally, serves on editorial boards, teaches, co-edited 3 textbooks on pain, and has published over 60 articles and book chapters on many topics related to pain treatment.
Dr. Christo hosts Aches and Gains, the first talk show on pain and pain relief that airs weekly on WBAL Radio, 1090 AM. He is widely consulted by the media on the topic of pain and has appeared as a guest on Dr. Mehmet Oz's satellite radio show, NPR radio (The Diane Rehm Show and Talk of the Nation), Good Morning America Health, and Retirement Living Television's Healthline, hosted by Dr. Kevin Soden. He is the pain expert for the live Web Chat series on Pain Management, hosted by the Tribune newspapers and Baltimore Sun.
U.S. News & World Report lists him as a Top Doctor and among the top 1% in the nation for Pain Management, Becker's ASC Review selected him as one of the 70 Best Pain Management Physicians in America, Becker’s Spine Review has chosen him as one of the 150 Pain Management Physicians to know, he’s ranked as a Top Doctor in Pain Management by the Baltimore Magazine, and he’s is listed as a Super Doctor for the Washington, DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia area . Dr. Christo was one of eight national pain experts to be selected as an American Academy of Pain Medicine/Pfizer Visiting Professor, and he was one of six experts from the U.S. and Canada to participate in the Mayday Pain and Society Fellowship Program, focusing on media and policymaking.
He served on the Committee on Pain Medicine for the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Pain.com Advisory Board for the Dannemiller Memorial Educational Foundation, and serves as a medical advisor for Ameritox, Dannemiller, Chronic Pain Perspectives, and the PAINS project, sponsored by the Center for Practical Bioethics.
A graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Louisville School of Medicine, Dr. Christo has also earned an MBA from the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in Health Care Management.
Take a moment to see what people are saying about our radio show.
*Click on the images to see them enlarged.
- "I have such appreciation for what Dr Paul Christo is doing with his show "Aches and Gains™". He is giving people empowering examples and information on how to live full and happy lives while dealing with chronic issues. Ten years ago there was scarce information available on Fibromyalgia, little awareness, and very little compassion in society. THINGS HAVE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER AND...There are more positive options available - lets help people in need find them before they lose hope. Dr. Christo, thank you for allowing me the chance to offer my support to you and your listeners. Pain teaches, let's learn." -AJ Langer, Actress (Seinfeld & My So Called Life)
- "I've had the privilege to be a guest on Aches and Gains™ and learn firsthand of Dr. Christo's passion about treating and healing patients through pain management. Dr. Christo is one of those exceptional few doctors who is able to combine deep insight and profound knowledge with a sense of humor and light spirit." -Clay Walker, Country Music Star
- "It's an honor to be part of Dr. Christo's show (Aches and Gains™). I truly hope that my interview-and many others from the show-help offer people hope in working past their pain" -Nikki Stone, 1998 Olympic Gold Medalist in Inverted Aerial Skiing
- "You and I need more Doctors like Dr. Paul, who have a hard background in science and medicine. But, since we are also spiritual, emotional, mental as well as physical beings, we need healers who acknowledge all these aspects. I'm glad to have met Dr. Paul and to know he is carrying the banner for both" -Naomi Judd, 6 Time Grammy Award Winner, Best Selling Author, Humanitarian, and Spokesperson for Partners Against Pain
- "I do a lot of interviews talking about issues around addiction, recovery, and pain. Much of the time I'm confronted with the sensational and uninformed. Dr. Paul Christo (Aches & Gains™) was a breath of fresh air. It's nice when you're introduced to someone in the media who is informed, smart, and asks questions that go below the surface." -Christopher Kennedy Lawford, New York Times Best Selling Author on Addiction and Recovery, Goodwill Ambassador for United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, and nephew of President John F. Kennedy
- "I have lived with sickle cell my whole entire life and I know how difficult it is sometimes to share my, or better, our painful experience with people who are not affected by the disease. I would like to thank Dr. Paul Christo for creating a platform that allows a conversation among those who are affected, as well as a source of real information for those who are not but want to know more." -Prodigy of Mobb Deep, American Rapper and Author
- "I have met many people in my career suffering from chronic pain looking for remedies for their condition. Dr. Paul Christo’s show "Aches and Gains™" is a critical component to those looking for answers to their condition. His knowledge, commitment and vast medical insight on pain relief and treatments are a welcomed and much needed component to achieve healing and wellness in soul, body and mind." -Tim Janis, Renowned Composer and Philanthropist
- "I love the name of your show" -Peggy Fleming, Figure Skater and Olympic Gold Medalist
- "It was so nice to talk with Dr. Christo about my challenges with diabetes. The pain from diabetes can be bad, but medicines and other treatments can help. It is important to get the message out so that people can understand the magnitude of the diabetes epidemic that is sweeping the country." - Jerry Mathers of "Leave it to Beaver" sitcom series; Television, Film, Stage Actor
- "Dr. Paul Christo is a wonderful interviewer with a compassionate informed view on pain. I was honored to be a guest on his show." - Judith Orloff, MD; Psychiatrist & Author of Emotional Freedom
- "Dear Dr. Paul, you have found a way to bring the world of pain into sharp focus on your radio show, "Aches and Gains™". If one third of the nation is suffering, learning how one person has found a solution to their particular nightmare highlights the value of every single life. I hope my own solution will help even one of your listeners." -Pat Silver-Lasky, Author, Film and TV writer
- "I commend you on your great work on Aches and Gains™. I love that you are profiling people with pain who survive and thrive. What a positive thing you are doing for the pain community." -Cynthia Toussaint, Ballerina and For Grace Founder and Spokesperson
- "Dr. Christo with his show "Aches and Gains™" provides a valuable service to many people whose lives have been affected by chronic pain. His passion for helping others and his professionalism result in spreading a wide range of information to his listeners. Many with debilitating chronic pain are only aware of pharmacological options, despite the existence of many other effective, affordable and accessible options. I applauded Dr. Christo for his selfless effort to bring this knowledge to a community that desperately needs it. Thank you for the opportunity to share my work, Revolution In Motion, with others." - Edythe Heus, Chiropractor and Founder, Revolution in Motion
- "I was honored to be part of Dr. Christo's show on plus-sized exercise. It was so nice to be on a show that was about positive solutions rather than blaming or shaming. Dr. Christo breaks things down in plain English to help people find real-world solutions to living with pain. Thank you for sharing your important message with the world." - Jeanette DePatie (AKA The Fat Chick) Plus-sized Licensed Fitness Instructor, Author and Speaker